Sunday, March 6, 2011

Neanderthals and Cupcakes


Yesterday, I read a post on Facebook by a friend who had recently fallen down in front of the grocery store while holding her toddler.  There were no serious injuries, with the exception of my friend's favorite jeans (may they rest in peace), but my friend and her baby both spent a few moments shedding some tears on a bench in front of the store. 

My initial reaction was sadness that I wasn't there that day to help my friend up off the ground and give her a hug.  But, what bothered me even more was the fact that some dude saw the whole thing happen and he didn't even pause to help her up or ask if she and her baby were ok.  Seriously??!!??

I have since come to the conclusion that Neanderthals still exist and and walk among us, and this uncaring grocery-store "dude" was one of them.  My guess is that he looked something like this:


I had my own encounter with one of these prehistoric oafs a few months back on Savannah's birthday.  Savannah had been attending preschool at Snow College, and she would be celebrating her 4th birthday.  So, I thought it would be adorable to bring birthday cupcakes for her to share with her friends.  I spent hours the night before baking, frosting and applying sprinkles to scads of mini cupcakes.  I carefully packaged them for their journey to preschool the next morning. 

However, when I arrived, I realize that I would probably need some help carrying the cupcakes and Vivian through the double-glass doors leading into the school.  As I examined my plight, I met eyes with a college-aged boy who was volunteering that day.  He did nothing but stare at me with an expressionless face while I tried to balance hundreds of cupcakes and a squirmy toddler.  I sensed right away that he wasn't going to walk two feet to open the door for me, so I convinced myself that I could do it on my own.  Nope. 

Viv wiggled just as I was getting the first door open, and naturally, the cupcakes went crashing to the ground.  I prayed in vain that at least a few would be spared.  Again - Nope. I glanced up at the boy who had watched everything without a so much as an eye twitch, and the focus of my prayers shifted to keeping my composure so I wouldn't be tempted to ram the cupcakes up his nostrils.






I found a gross cupcake substitute at the nearby Wal-Mart - cupcakes with blue frosting.  But let's be honest.  Preschoolers don't care about quality.  A cupcake is a cupcake, and it always tastes better when served on a Tinkerbell plate.


The kids sang Happy Birthday to Savannah, and we played in the beautiful leaves before heading home. 

 

Met any Neanderthals in your neck of the woods?

5 comments:

  1. So sorry about the ruined cupcakes! But I'm sure all Savannah will remember is the time her mom brought her awesome blue cupcakes to school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Tawni. I miss you more then you know. I'm sorry the cupcake's didn't survive. Someone told me that karma always comes around. Maybe that kid will remember his sin of omission for the rest of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goo! So sorry about the cupcakes - he'll learn. (I don't mean that in a mean way, of course. Some people just don't get it until they live through it....I can say that because I tend to be one of those people. Jammer genoeg.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you mean for that Neanderthal to look like George W? Haha. Too true!

    So sorry. I wish I couldve eaten the mashed but perfectly good cupcakes with you. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speak it, sister. I met 3 last week. Scene: Airport security gate. I was alone with 3 kids, ages 5,3 and 9 months. We successfully made it through the metal detector, then 3 security men watched as I struggled to lift the double stroller off the conveyor belt and set it up while holding the baby, boarding passes, various shoes, etc. Dude. Where have all the gentlemen gone?

    ReplyDelete