Saturday, September 5, 2009

Blackberries

I love living here in Western Washington where blackberries grow wild everywhere. They don't seem to require a lot of maintenance. Take, for instance, these huge bushes that grow behind our apartments. Our backyard neighbors ignore them 365 days per year, and they still produce what looks like thousands of gorgeous berries every summer. It drives me crazy to look out my window and watch them go to waste, since no one harvests them.


Well, it bothered my dad, too. So, while he was here visiting last week, he slipped out of the house with a grocery bag, climbed up on the retaining wall behind our apartment and started picking any berries that he could reach. Unfortunately, the sprinklers started while he was there and he got drenched!


Here he is all wet and upset that I am taking his picture.


The good news is that we made a delicious blackberry poppy seed cake with what he was able to pick. I did have to supplement it with a few blueberries, because Savannah was eating them so fast that there weren't many left over for the cake :)

No comments:

Post a Comment